Sunday, January 12, 2014

Book Review: Dark Star by Bethany Frenette

Book: Dark Star (Book#1 in the Dark Star series)
Author: Bethany Frenette
Rating: 3.75/5 stars- so superhero or fantasy?
Synopsis (as found on Goodreads):

Audrey Whitticomb has nothing to fear. Her mother is the superhero Morning Star, the most deadly crime-fighter in the Twin Cities, so it's hard for Audrey not to feel safe. That is, until she's lured into the sweet night air by something human and not human--something with talons and teeth, and a wide, scarlet smile. 

Now Audrey knows the truth: her mom doesn't fight crime at night. She fights Harrowers--livid, merciless beings who were trapped Beneath eons ago. Yet some have managed to escape. And they want Audrey dead, just because of who she is: one of the Kin. 

To survive, Audrey will need to sharpen the powers she has always had. When she gets close to someone, dark corners of the person's memories become her own, and she sometimes even glimpses the future. If Audrey could only get close to Patrick Tigue, a powerful Harrower masquerading as human, she could use her Knowing to discover the Harrowers' next move. But Leon, her mother's bossy, infuriatingly attractive sidekick, has other ideas. Lately, he won't let Audrey out of his sight. 

When an unthinkable betrayal puts Minneapolis in terrible danger, Audrey discovers a wild, untamed power within herself. It may be the key to saving her herself, her family, and her city. Or it may be the force that destroys everything--and everyone--she loves.


Review:

(Finished this a while ago but I held the review back due to Blog-A-Thon.)

So you know how sometimes you run across a book you've heard of once or twice, maybe from a friend or it popped up on your Goodreads news feed, and you thought it sounded interesting but not interesting enough for you to run out and buy the book or get a hold of it at the library?

And sometimes when you find a book like that, and maybe you had enough money to buy one more book or you just randomly find it on the shelf of your library, you pick it up, hoping maybe it surprises you.

And sometimes it does, and sometimes it doesn't. But you never go in with high expectations anyways, because you haven't heard people raving about it. 

I like picking up one of these every now and then because I feel like taking a risk and maybe you'll found a fun little hidden gem. I've found ones I like, (The Shadow Society by Marie Rutkoski) and ones I hate (Devine Intervention by Martha Brockenbrough) and there are ones that sit in the back of my mind that I would like to pick up if I saw it (Midnight City by J. Barton Mitchell) 

So Dark Star was one of those novels and I was somewhat.. indifferent about it?

The story has an interesting premise, although I'll warn you right now: the word superhero is insanely. INSANELY. Misleading.

This is much more of a fantasy novel in a modern setting, again with the "special race of people who have superpowers and protects normal humans" thing.

I enjoyed this novel: it had a good plot, nice twists, interesting premise, and fairly good characters, but I had two major issues with it.

1. The fantasy element

There's a fair amount of explanation of the background and history of the race (Kin) but there's no explanation to their POWERS. I didn't understand why they had random abilities or like what those abilities are and especially there is nothing explaining a guardian's power. So I'm kind of guessing my way through what they can actually do and I'm just all like "what" when they do some crazy superpower. And like the glowing wrist thing just further confused the heck out of me.

2. The romance.

Lame.

...

Ok no that's a little harsh. But it was so predictable and it was so cheesy and it just wasn't done with any kind of good DEPTH. There was no fun with it and I'm just kind of like "ohmygod this is how this is going to turn out" at the end. I was totally digging this novel without the romance. But the unsubtle hints here and there and the scene at the end is really what brought the rating down. I just can't. Either you don't do romance or you do it right. I was kind of hoping for a no romance thing happening (despite the fact the synopsis totally being obvious) because that can get tiring even though I'm a fangirl who loves her ships.

Dark Star isn't quite the hidden gem I was hoping for but there is potential in this series. I'm crossing my fingers that I won't have the two major issues in the next book (if I ever get a chance to read it) and it'll hopefully really kick ass. Please kick some major Harrower ass.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Thoughts of a Hopeless (Book) Romantic Blogger Template by Ipietoon Blogger Template